Below is a summary of an article in the BBC by Dr Michael Mosley on why stress makes you fat.
* Chronic stress disrupts our sleep and chronic stress levels leading to hunger and energy crashes
* Testing by Dr Giles Yeo showed that blood sugar levels took 6 times longer (3 hours) to return to normal compared to stress free days
* The fight or flight response from stress leads to glucose being dumped in the blood stream to provide energy
* When you don’t run or fight or use the glucose, the pancreas releases insulin to bring the blood sugar levels back down which can lead to energy dips and hunger
* Research at King’s College found that sleep deprived people consumed on average and extra 358 calories per day
* The solution is to priorities sleep and manage stress. Things shown to be beneficial for reducing stress Mindfulness, mediation, yoga, exercise, gardening.
Hypnotherapy for Stress and Sleep
I offer hypnotherapy for emotion eating, weight loss, stress, and sleep.
Sessions can be face to face at my clinic in Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK or via Skype.
Please contact me for help.